This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive commissions for purchases made through links in this post. (Or my friends might.) If we are lucky. 🙂
Fun Books to Read Aloud: The Silver Serpent Cup
A Forts & Spoons Book Review
When I gave my son this book for Christmas, I had no idea that in just a few short weeks, I would not only have it memorized, but so would he. (Including the names of all 24 characters depicted in on the front and back cover pages, mind you!) We read it to him before bed every night for three solid weeks, and it still shows up at least weekly now. So if you have young’uns, I highly recommend getting this book – Fast and Furry Racers – The Silver Serpent Cup by Jonathan Emmett and Ed Eaves.
I randomly picked this book out of a Usborne catalog when my friend was having a book party, because my son is obsessed with all types of vehicles. And I am so glad I did.
Here are a few things that make this book awesome to read for kids and parents alike…
- Cadence. This book is SUPER fun to read aloud. It rhymes, has great rhythm, and the story just flows off of the pages. Heads up… You have to pronounce “again” as a-GAIN (not a-gin) to enjoy the full-on rhyming fun.
- Vehicles Galore! There are cars and planes and trains and submarines and more. I have a 4 year old son who loves all types of vehicles, and he loves to sit and look at all of the detailed illustrations.
- Lots of Animals, too. The racers are birds and alligators and tigers and moles and octopi, just to name a few. And their vehicles share their characteristics, which is a nice touch.
- The character names are fun to say. The authors recognize the awesomeness that is alliteration and it pays off. Roderick Von Rooster, Ollie Octolinni, and my personal favorite Bess and Bonnie Bumblebutt. They are really fun to read out loud and make us all giggle. Especially Gertrude Kerfuffle. Hehehe.
- You can buy it from a friend! It is a Kane Miller book, which I love because they have a wide variety of educational titles from all around the world. (This one is from England, hence the alternate pronunciation of “again”). Anyway, Usborne Books carries it for just $8. And I got to pay that to a good friend instead of a big box store or online book giant. You can probably get it online, but ask around… I bet you know an Usborne consultant that would love the support. (If you don’t, my friend’s site is here.)
- There is an intriguing preview by the author on YouTube, too!
We love reading aloud to my son, so when we find a gem like this that he loves to hear AND we love to read, I totally feel the need to tell people. Go locate a copy to purchase or borrow and enjoy the experience!
*Images are from Fast and Furry Racers – The Silver Serpent Cup by Jonathan Emmett and Ed Eaves, First American Edition 2017, Kane Miller, A Division of EDC Publishing.